Osteoarthritis pathological process in the joints, which can have a variety of causes. They all lead to impaired function and structure of one or more of the joints. This disease is the most common cause of chronic back pain. It affects millions of people. In any case, the symptoms and the treatment of the arthrosis of the individual, and require the supervision of a qualified podiatrist.
What is an arthrosis?
On the basis of the disease – the gradual loss of the cartilage that normally lines the two bone sections, and ensure that they slide relative to each other. Under the influence of a variety of causes the cartilage starts to break down, it should be included in the bone of immature stem cells, it is compressed, is formed a cavity (cyst) and growths (osteophytes).
Gradually narrows and then disappears completely, the difference between the closing surfaces of, and the limb does not move. When osteoarthritis affects all the tissues of the joint including the nearby muscles, ligaments, the joint capsule. Therefore, the treatment of arthrosis of joints is a complex task, and in the later stages of the cancer patient can only help the operation.
The most common disease – deforming arthritis affecting the large joints of the lower limbs, and brush.
The causes of osteoarthritis
The possible reasons for the development of osteoarthritis:
- endocrine diseases diabetes, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, acromegaly, obesity;
- an injury such as a major (bone fracture, resulting in his or her opinion of the surface are displaced from a normal axis), and the microscopically small, but constant (with hard work, continuing, professional, or sporting events);
- inflammation of the joint infectious arthritis, gout, rheumatoid diseases.
- metabolism metabolism: Paget's disease, and Wilson's;
- congenital malformations of, for example, varying the length of the limb;
- genetic defects of collagen structure, such as the syndrome of Ehlers-Danlos;
- neuropathy of different origin, diabetic, alcoholic;
- hemophilia with frequent bleeding into the joint cavity.
For the success of the treatment of osteoarthritis of the joints, it is necessary to eliminate the cause.
The symptoms and stages of osteoarthritis of the
The disease accompanied by such complaints, and the symptoms are:
- nagging pain and impaired mobility in one or more of the joints;
- the pain is worse after exertion, and often during the night, and in the severe stage of osteoarthritis may become a fixture;
- a dangerous complication, immobility of the joint, inability to move or care for themselves.
A common form of the disease:
- the defeat of the interphalangeal joints of the fingers and the base of the thumb, it is not able to increase, to swell and become painful, and sometimes they have development of the sores;
- osteoarthritis of the hip joint: more common in males, it is associated with heavy physical work, the main reason for this disease in women – being overweight;
- osteoarthritis of the knees: is often connected with the professional activities of the standing, kneeling, and squatting;
- osteoarthritis of the spine accompanied by the formation of bone spurs that pinch the nerve root, resulting in pain, weakness, disturbance of feeling in the extremities, constant pain in the lower back.
There are different stages of osteoarthritis:
- 1, the level of small zones.
- 2. level: a significant limitation, crepitation during movement, a moderate atrophy of nearby muscles.
- Stage 3: deformity of the joint, with an almost complete lack of movement.
Depending on the degree of the disorder and the stage of the disease, in the treatment of diseases, which include the medical doctors in different fields – therapists, physical therapists, rheumatologists, neurologists, orthopedists.
The treatment of osteoarthritis of the
The goal of treatment is to eliminate risk factors and pain relief, restoration of joint function. For this purpose, various methods of influence:
- non-pharmacological: provision of information to the patient about his disease and prevention of complications, physical therapy, physical therapy, weight reduction, therapeutic exercise, assistive devices (orthoses, canes, crutches);
- medications for osteoarthritis: non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, especially the new generation – the selective COX-2 inhibitors; for chronic pain, demonstrated when the atypical antidepressants; symptomatic delayed-action preparations have only auxiliary value, as their effect is to slow down the destruction of cartilage has not been shown;
- if it is accompanied by inflammation and severe pain syndrome, trauma surgeons perform intra-articular injections of glucocorticoid hormones;
- the most effective method is a surgical procedure that gives you the opportunity to get rid of pain and restore mobility.
Can be made from a variety of different types of surgical intervention:
- arthroscopy inspection of the inside surface of the joint using a small camera (endoscope), removing fragments of cartilage blocking the joint;
- arthroplasty – the replacement of cartilage to the surface of the synthetic material;
- osteotomy is the cutting or removing part of the bone to restore the normal axis of the joint;
- arthroscopic surgery is the surgical restoration of the integrity of the cartilage;
- arthrodesis – the artificial creation of immobility in the joints (most commonly of the ankle), for the relief of the patient from the continued pain;
- arthroplasty – removal of the damaged articular ends of the bones, replacing them with an artificial joint.
The prevention of
It provides a way to prevent the illness. The prevention of osteoarthritis is to eliminate excess stress on your joints, the timely treatment of the disease, which can contribute to the destruction of the cartilage. The treatment of osteoarthritis folk remedies do not help slow the progression of the disease, but it helps to relieve pain in the joints. It can be seen as a complement to traditional medical treatments with drugs or surgery.
The time is a negative factor for the patient with osteoarthritis. The sooner you start treatment, or surgery, the better the results. So, if you have symptoms of osteoarthritis, it is advisable to consult with your doctor first.