Pain in the low back can occur in older people and young people. Discomfort can arise due to diseases of the spine, the kidneys, the gastrointestinal tract, gynecological health problems and many other reasons, of which there are about a hundred. This is the most common complaints of patients when used in medical institutions.
Why pain in lower back?
Doctors often referred pain in the lower back the lumbar region, and at the exact location, and that the leg - sciatica. If the affected lumbar roots, this syndrome is called radiculopathy.
Discomfort in the lower part of the spine is not a separate disease, but is considered a serious symptom of many diseases.
Causes of pain in the low back can be the following factors:
- Kidney disease (injury, inflammation, stones). When these irregularities occur and hurt the left or right of the spine.
- Osteochondrosis, intervertebral hernia and spondylosis. Most often, these diseases occur after the age of 40 and is more typical for men than for women. In these diseases occur pain, pain in the lower part of the spine, which is obvious also when tilting the head, you can numb lower limbs and appear frequent fatigue.
- Acute atypical appendicitis.
- Gastrointestinal diseases (ulcers in duodenum or stomach, inflammation of the pancreas).
- Gynecological diseases (chlamydia, gonorrhea, candidiasis, pathology of uterus, polycystic ovaries, endometriosis). Often in such cases, patients come to the doctor with "dull" to the lower back. Pain in lower back in women, even during menstruation.
- The effects of a stroke, a heart attack the spine, resulting in a disrupted spinal circulation.
- Skin diseases (dermatitis, ringworm, granuloma). Pain and burning sensation that comes from the inside of the skin.
- Microtrauma of the muscle. In this case, the spasm can radiate to the coccyx and occur some time after the injury.
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Weight. The lower back with excess weight hurt from the excessive loads on the spine.
- Allergies. In such cases, a nagging pain in the lower back, which will be treated with medication method.
- TB. This pathology destroys the individual vertebrae and causes local discomfort.
- Imbalance of the regeneration/destruction of bone tissue. Pain the pain becomes more intense when the weather changes or the load of the spine.
- Common disease in the elderly.
Frequent stays in a sitting position
- Malignant tumors in the spine. Causes of pain in this case, the metastases in the lower back.
- Acute infectious diseases (phlebitis, proctitis, discitis, osteomyelitis, diseases of ENT-organs).
- Often lower back pain can occur from injury. Fractures of the vertebrae, is a strong and sharp pain on the bottom or on the sides.
- Growing pains in children.
- During pregnancy. Pain in the lower back in this case is the result of physiological changes.
- Unfavorable heredity.
- Bad habits (Smoking, alcohol, drugs).
- Increased levels of physical activity or frequent stays in the seated position.
When ovarian pathology, urinary tract and of the digestive system, diseases of the spine, pain in the lower back to the left.
Pain in the lower back in men, often occurs because of excessive weight, a sedentary work, the long stay behind the wheel, frequent physical exertion, trauma or hypothermia in women due to gynecological diseases, frequent carrying a child or due to a sedentary lifestyle.
How can there be pain?
Pain syndrome in the low back, which are used to divided into two main types: primary and secondary. The primary means of spasm due to inflammation of adjacent structures (nerves and roots). The secondary is reflected on the following problems:
- Congenital pathology.
- Trauma of the spine.
- Of the tumor.
- Metabolic disorders.
- Diseases of the stomach, the pancreas, the bowel, the abdominal aorta and the urogenital system.
Depending on the duration, pain is divided into chronic (more than 12 weeks) and acute (up to 12 weeks).
On the specifics of the pain to the specific (additional endanger the health and life of patients) and nonspecific (in which it is impossible to determine the exact diagnosis).
With the nature of the manifestation, pain is divided into the following:
- Local. Due to tissue damage and is permanent.
- Change. Can be kept in one place and spread around the lumbar-sacral spine. Occur when damage to the nerve structures. Varieties of pain - radicular and radicular. Are sweeping a character, usually dull or aching. Movement, affect and irritate the roots, the pain increases and becomes sharp and cutting.
- Expressed. Occurs when the trends in the internal organs and is localized in the abdominal cavity or pelvic area.
How to limit the extent of the disease?
Different reasons cause different pain in the lower back. And the doctor is able to diagnose, you must be able to describe the pain.
- Pronounced pain syndrome. Occurs suddenly and is localized at a certain point. For example, pain in the back, bottom left.
- Long-term pain from the awkward position, or monotonous processes. If the lower back hurts in this way, the specialist can narrow down the suspected causes of the symptom significantly.
- Radiate pain that travels up the legs and back. It is most likely that this symptom is due to the the intervertebral hernia.
- Sharp pain pain that is localized in the low back, also requires the attention of a physician, but usually not dangerous.
- Discomfort the right or left lower part of the back, which does not stop even after a comfortable position may indicate a malignant tumor.
Even after the determination of the type and variety of the syndrome, the patient should not self heal, which often has no benefits, only exacerbates the situation.
If you have cramps in the back, right, centre or right, you need to immediately visit a therapist.
The doctor reviewed the patient and in the presence of "signs of danger" (malignant the tumor, weight loss, immunosuppression, drug abuse, urinary tract infections, despair, pain, chills, recurrent pain in elderly patients, metabolic bone disorders, use of anticoagulants, a significant spine injury) may appoint the following studies:
- General analysis of blood;
- a biopsy of the bone marrow;
- consultation with other professionals;
- biochemical blood analysis;
- urine analysis according to Nechyporenko, zimnitskiy;
- analysis of the excretions, and secretions of the sexual organs;
- x-rays of the spine;
- CT and MRI;
- Ultrasound of internal organs;
- endoscopy in the intestine.
The list of diagnostic methods can be extended to identify the exact source of the discomfort.
In the absence of the "signs of danger" the doctor prescribes that the patient anesthetizing therapy.
Identifies the following factors from the patient indicating the possible presence of a tumor disease:
- Sudden and unexplained weight loss.
- Conservative treatment for months does not give positive results.
- Severe pain lasting more than one month.
Young people (up to 50 years), with a sharp weight loss, but with the improvements, due to the conservative treatment of cancer may be excluded with 100% probability.
Treatment of pain in the lower back
The doctor prescribed for the treatment of the patient, which is based on the properties of the organism and the nature of the disease. If the lower back hurts the spine, the treatment deals with the spine, neurologist, or orthopedic trauma. The doctor must interview the patient, if it is transmitted in the anesthesia of the thigh bone; if there is fever; how fluid the lumbar region; the pain is experiencing.
Treatment of pain in the back is always tricky:
- Physiotherapy. With treatment, improve the blood circulation in the tissues of the back and relax muscles. Cramps in the lower part of the spine, caused by problems with the spine can be: electro and phonophoresis; laser treatment; magnetic therapy, wave therapy; cryotherapy; mud baths; swimming classes; reflexology. The number of sessions, with appropriate physiotherapy treatment, such as in a situation with medicines by the doctor.
- Physical therapy, gymnastics. Without regular exercise, any disease that causes spasms in the lower back, it can only get worse. In the acute variety of the syndrome, the doctor first recommends wearing special orthopedic corset and stay in bed, but as soon as the pain subsides a little, to solve some exercises. The first exercise performed in the supine position, the legs alternately bend and straighten 20 times. Then he turned on his stomach, the patient must raise the opposite arm and leg 15 times. Then carefully get up on all four and bow at the back a turn up and down, pausing in each position for 5 seconds 10 times. Slow growing with a rounded back, you must stand in position, legs shoulder width apart and the exercise leg swings - 10 times for each leg. Further, in the presence of a horizontal bar or wall bars, running vis on hand (30 seconds). The number of repetitions is given about for beginners. If it is difficult, the standards may be reduced or, on the contrary, to increase, in the case of small loads. It is important not to overload the spine, the main aim of such exercises is to maintain muscle tone.
- Massage and manual therapy. This treatment method is carried out only after consultation with your doctor. Massage and manual therapy can improve the blood flow in the tissues, to release tension from the muscles, eliminate stiffness in the movements and to remove subluxations of the joints.
- The method of administration. If none of the methods did not fit, the doctors decided for a surgery. After surgery, the patient needs some time to go for the determination of the corset and to undergo rehabilitation.
- Traditional medicine. Depending on the localization of the disease, to the rear left or right, there are a lot of recipes for compresses, ointments and tinctures, which you can do at home. The most often used infusions of green and dried leaves of the raspberry.
There are times when the pain is so intense that the person may be in pain and shock, then the doctor should immediately inject the patient strong painkillers and to call an ambulance.
Don't get pathology of musculoskeletal pain in the lower back, you need to:
- Take into account the moderation in physical exertion. The patient is important to strengthen the abdominal muscles and spine and not too many of them.
- When training in the gym, avoid exercises on the treadmill.
- Perform therapeutic massage.
- At the slightest symptoms of back pain, seek the advice of a physician.
- In the cases, when does the pain occur when you walk or is placed on the leg, you should consult a podiatrist.
Lower back pain can be as temporary due to fatigue or overexertion of the muscle and, after a stay in a horizontal position and a symptom of a serious disease. Timely treatment can the doctor help the patient time to begin treatment and get rid of tormenting your discomfort. And prevention of pain syndrome will eliminate occurrence in future such unpleasant symptoms.
And some secrets
Have you ever experienced persistent pain in the back, neck or unbearable pain in the joints? Judging by the fact that you're reading this article, You or your loved one are already familiar with them personally. And of course you don't know what is:
- Constant pain and sharp pain;
- The inability of a comfortable and easy to move;
- Constant muscle tension in the back and neck;
- Unpleasant crunching and clicking in the joints;
- Sharp pain in the low back in the spine or unreasonable, pain in the joints;
- The impossibility long to sit in the same position.